This content originally appeared on Beyond Type 1. Republished with permission.
By Liz Cambron-Kopco
Gone are the days of gifting sugar-free candies that sit untouched until next year. This year give your loved ones with diabetes (or yourself!) a gift that can make living with diabetes a bit easier and cooler! Check out our recommendations for this holiday season.
Clothing & Accessories
Every person with diabetes (PWD) could use some fun clothing and accessories, especially ones that help keep them safe and healthy!
- Viasox: Compression and non-binding fun socks designed for foot pain relief for PWD
- Smiling Pancreas: Fun keychains, socks, pins, and more
- Myabetic and KYT bags: stylish purses designed to hold all your diabetic supplies
- SugarMedical: stylish and functional diabetes accessories, from bags to silicone cases for insulin vials
- SPIbelt: belt designed to hold insulin pumps & continuous glucose monitors (CGMs)
- Medical IDs: jewelry and more from Lauren’s Hope, RoadID and Universal Medical ID
- Diabetes Tees: empowering and witty t-shirts from Diabetes Strong Tee, Myabetic Tees, Black Diabetic Girl
Health + Fitness Tech
You can help support a PWD reach their health goals by gifting them health accessories to track their progress.
- Activity Trackers: wearable fitness trackers like Fitbit and smart watches from Apple and Garmin can even connect with some models of continuous glucose monitors (CGMs)
- Withings: health devices including smart scales, smartwatches, activity trackers, blood pressure monitors and more
Books make great gifts for everyone, including those with diabetes and the even the ones who care for them! Here is a great selection of books to gift this year!
- “Think Like a Pancreas” by Gary Scheiner
- “Dealing with Diabetes Burnout” by Ginger Vieira
- “50 Myths That Can Ruin Your Life—and 50 Diabetes Truths That Can Save It” by Riva Greenberg
- “Sugar Surfing” by Stephen Ponder
- “Thriving with Diabetes” by Paul Rosman and David Edelman
- “Pumping Insulin” by John Walsh
For the Newly Diagnosed
- “The Book of Better” by Chuck Eichten
- “The Pocket Carbohydrate Counting Guide” by Shelby Kinnaird
- “Typecast: Amazing Individuals Overcoming Chronic Disease” by Andrew Deutscher
- “If I Kiss You, Will I Get Diabetes?” by Quinn Nystrom
- “Too Sweet: The Not-So-Serious Side of Diabetes” by Laura Kronen
- “Sugar Linings” by Sierra Sandison
To Manage Blood Sugar Levels When Exercising
- “Diabetic Athlete’s Handbook” by Sheri Colberg
- “Yoga for Diabetes” by Rachel Zinman
- “Unleash Your Inner Diabetes Dominator” by Daniele Hargenrader
- “Fit with Diabetes” by Christel Oerum
- “Pregnancy with Type 1 Diabetes” by Ginger Vieira
- “Balancing Diabetes” by Kerri Sparling
- “Emotional Eating with Diabetes” by Ginger Vieira
- “A Woman’s Guide to Diabetes” by Brandy Barnes and Natalie Strand
To Laugh and Feel Seen
- “Rage Bolus & Other Poems” by Kerri Morrone Sparling
For the young ones on your list, check out our recommendations for children’s books about living with type 1 diabetes.
Test Supplies + Subscriptions
Diabetes management requires several supplies like test strips, medical devices, and more. However, diabetes doesn’t have to be boring! Consider a gift to help personalize diabetes equipment or provide monthly supplies straight to your loved one’s home!
- Diabetic Dabs: tiny wipes make cleaning up with after checking blood sugar levels a breeze
- Glucose Meter and Test Strip Subscription: provide a monthly subscription of diabetes supplies from OneDrop or DiaThrive
- CGM + Pump Stickers: personalize and decorate CGMs and insulin pumps with fun stickers from GrifGrips, PumpPeelz, or ExpressionMed
- FRIO Insulin Cooling Case: protective and cooling cases for insulin pens and vials
- EDC Solutions: get a custom designed insulin pump case to protect and personalize your gear
Diabetes Toys + Stickers
Every child (and adult!) can appreciate some plush toys and stickers to keep life fun while living with diabetes.
- Rufus, the Bear with Diabetes is a comforting companion for a child diagnosed with diabetes. You can even download Rufus’ coloring pages to accompany the plush toy.
- For an American Girl Doll lover, check out the Doll Diabetes Care Kit.
- Everyone loves stickers. Check out the diabetes-themed stickers from Diabetic Designs, RachelAnnLetters, Organizing Chaos and Typeonevibes (this artist also creates custom prints based on your photo—she does a beautiful job highlighting diabetes devices!)
Sweets + Treats
Who doesn’t enjoy a good sweet or treat during the holidays? Yes, people with diabetes also can and should enjoy treats this holiday season!
- Swoon: from lemonades to margarita mixers, these zero sugar drinks make a fun gift
- Sun Basket: a healthy meal plan delivery subscription
Still haven’t found a gift for your loved one with diabetes? Consider making a donation in their name to Beyond Type 1! Donations help fund our mission to support and enhance the lives of those affected by diabetes through our various programs.